It all comes down to Olins Law.  (Olin Green)
"Why did you do what you did and why didn't you do what you were supposed to do and where is the DOCUMENTATION that says you can or you don't have to."
    Pretty straight forward from a man that survived 4 presidents of both parties as US FIRE SAFETY ADMINISTRATOR.  As most AHJs will tell you: SHOW ME THE CODE CITATION.....
    Everything we do in fire is contained in (Depending on which state you are in): 
NFPA 72     National Fire Alarm signaling and Mass Notification Code
NFPA 70     Article 760 National Electrical Code
NFPA 101   Life Safety Code 
IBC,            International Building Code
IFC             International Fire Code
MGL           Mass. General Law.....
to name a FEW......
    Remember when a burglar alarm fails people lose property.  When a fire alarm fails due to mechanical failure or installer error or omission, people die....
    I would still like to hear from Jeffery Zwirn...
Just some thoughts off the top..
    I think Jeff likes to get paid for his opinions.
    I read your newsletter and have a question.  Many companies are installing Z-wave devices. In the state of New Jersey, does a licensed alarm contractor have to be a licensed electrician to install Z-wave lights and other devices? Thank you.
    If you are opening an electric box or wiring a switch, you need an electrician license.
    Unless you're an electrician you can't work with 110v wiring, and that's what connects a non low voltage light switch......
    You are 110% incorrect.  This argument has been fought and won on paper in nys.  
This came from the Wilkin County Minn law.  ( just for reference); isnt this a repair?

Building permit required.

No permit shall be required for repairs only which are made at a cost of $200 or less. Whether or not a permit is required, repairs must be made in accordance with the applicable provisions of the Minnesota State Building Code and other applicable laws and ordinances. With the foregoing exception, building permits shall be required whenever they are required by the Minnesota State Building Code or other applicable laws and ordinances, and the person applying for the permit shall pay a fee based upon the value of the improvement or the cost involved in the case of repairs or other matters, and in addition thereto shall pay the surcharge required by the Minnesota Building Code.

A town in NYS 
No person shall commence the erection, construction, enlargement, alteration, removal, relocation, improvement, demolition, conversion or change in the nature of the occupancy, classification or subclassification of any building or structure, any work regulated by the Uniform Code or Energy Code, or the installation of a solid-fuel-burning heating appliance, chimney or flue in any dwelling unit, and the repair or installation of any firesafety system or cause it to be done, without first obtaining a separate building permit therefor from the Building Inspector for each such building or structure, except for the work described in § 68-10B.
No building permit shall be required for work in any of the following categories:
Construction or installation of one-story detached structures associated with one- or two-family dwellings or multiple single-family dwellings (townhouses) which are used for tool and storage sheds, playhouses or similar uses, having a gross floor area of 100 square feet or less and a height of eight feet or less, which complies with the minimum requirements of Chapter 210, Zoning, as it relates to placement and setbacks;
Installation of swings, tree houses, playhouses and other playground equipment associated with a one- or two-family dwelling or multiple single-family dwellings (townhouses);
Installation of swimming pools associated with a one- or two-family dwelling or multiple single-family dwellings (townhouses) where such pools are designed for a water depth of less than 24 inches and are installed entirely above ground;
Installation of fences which are not part of an enclosure surrounding a swimming pool;
Construction of retaining walls unless such walls support a surcharge or impound Class I, II or IIIA liquids;
Construction of temporary motion picture, television and theater stage sets and scenery;
Installation of window awnings supported by an exterior wall of a one- or two-family dwelling or multiple single-family dwellings (townhouses);
Installation of partitions or movable cases less than five feet nine inches in height;
Residential painting, wallpapering, tiling, carpeting, cabinetry or other similar finish work;
Installation of listed portable electrical, plumbing, heating, ventilation or cooling equipment or appliances;
Repair of any equipment, provided the repair does not alter the equipment's listing or render it inconsistent with the equipment's original specifications; or
Repairs, provided that such repairs do not involve:
The removal or cutting away of a load-bearing wall, partition, or portion thereof, or of any structural beam or load-bearing component;
The removal or change of any required means of egress, or the rearrangement of parts of a structure in a manner which affects egress;
The enlargement, alteration, replacement or relocation of any building system; or
The removal from service of all or part of a fire protection system for any period of time.
The exemption from the requirement to obtain a building permit for work in any category set forth in § 68-10B of this section shall not be deemed an authorization for work to be performed in violation of the Uniform Code or the Energy Code.

Bottom line; check the laws......don't take someones word for it.......