You can read all of our articles on our website Having trouble getting our emails?   Change your spam controls and white list 

Insurance Issues brought up at NYC DoB CE License Class
February 22, 2019
Insurance Issues
         Every three years I have to take a NYC Dept of Buildings approved Continuing Education class.  Yesterday I took the class and they had an Insurance agent/broker speak about insurance and coverage's that we should have, and thought you may want to comment and/or pass on the info.  These are just some topic highlights from the presentation:
  We should have a comprehensive GL policy which should include:
        Inland Marine coverage
        Installation coverage
        Action overage
       Waiver of subrogation
What are your thoughts, recommendations, advise, etc?
          All alarm – security – fire companies need to have insurance.  The most essential insurance you need is General Liability with Errors and Omissions coverage.  The policy should be on an occurrence basis.  Policy limits of at least one million.  You can’t have too much coverage.  If you do commercial fire I think three million is the least you should have.  Again, you can’t have too much.
          Use a carrier that offers an Alarm Program.  See The Alarm Exchange in the insurance category.  
          I asked Security America to respond to the question.  Here is their response:
 Re:  Response to the insurance question. 
            More importantly than just “ticking” the coverage boxes is that you need to work with a professional that will review your business and ultimately provide you with options that meet your individual needs.  Yes, GL coverage is needed, but Inland marine might not be necessary for your business.  Yes, you should have coverage for installations, but on more than the general liability side – you need it on the professional side as well.  How does your professional liability policy compliment your general liability policy?  What are the exclusions you should care about?  What about claims made vs occurrence coverage – how do those differ/what’s the benefit of each type to you?  You need to work with a company that understands the alarm industry and the exposures.  Security America was developed by the alarm industry.  At Security America, we review your needs to determine what fits your business. 
            Best Regards,
 Crystal Jacobs, RPLU
P: (866) 315-3838


    Check out our CONCIERGE LAWYER SERVICE FOR THE ALARM INDUSTRY PROGRAM. I hope you decide to join. I promise we will make it worthwhile.  We want you to think of K&K as your attorneys and we hope to meet your every expectation.  Participation is limited so don't delay.  Now you can afford to have K&K on retainer and available when you need us.
You can check out the program and sign up here:

NOTICE:  You can always read our Articles on our website at

alarm classifieds alarm security contractsThis area is reserved for alarm classifieds, alarm company announcements, solicitations, offers, etc. Those wishing to sell or buy; borrow or lend; dealer program or dealer; central stations; insurance brokers; business  brokers, insurance companies. Equipment to sell; looking for employees; subcontractors; mergers;

There is no charge to post a listing here.Include your contact information, phone, email and web site.  If you would like to submit a posting, please send an email to  To create a reciprocal link to our website, click here.
Many of you are forwarding these emails to friends or asking that others be added to the list.
Sign up for our daily newsletter here: Sign Up.  You can read articles and order alarm contracts on our web site

Ken Kirschenbaum,Esq
Kirschenbaum & Kirschenbaum PC
Attorneys at Law
200 Garden City Plaza
Garden City, NY 11530
516 747 6700 x 301
516 747 6700