Button: Make a Payment Button: Newsletter Mailing List

Icon: Healthcare LawHands-On Experience

Providing legal advice

and services since 1977

Healthcare Newsletter

Does my small practice need a buy-sell?

October 25, 2016


I am a practitioner with one partner and we have been working together for years.  We are incorporated as a PC.  A colleague of mine recently asked if I have a Buy-Sell Agreement for my practice since he just ended up in a prolonged and expensive litigation when one of his partners left his practice without a Buy-Sell Agreement.  Is this really a good thing to have for my practice?  

Thanks in advance,  Dr. H


Happy to report that Jodi Perlman, Esq. of the firm has answered this one!  Here is her response - 

Whether you operate as a professional corporation (PC), a professional limited liability company (PLLC), a corporation, or a general partnership, it is extremely prudent for your practice to have a Buy-Sell Agreement, often in the form of an Operating Agreement, a Shareholders Agreement or a Partnership Agreement depending on how your practice is organized.  In addition to providing for items such as management, decision-making, maintenance of tax benefits, dispute resolution and funding working capital for the practice, a Buy-Sell Agreement will include terms regarding the transfer of interests in your Company.

A small practice likely does not have interests that are readily transferable in, or valued by, the market, and without a Buy-Sell there are no governing terms as to under what conditions a partner may leave, who can acquire his/her interests, what the value is for those interests, and what are the purchase terms.  Accordingly, a Buy-Sell Agreement would include the following important terms:
  1. Under what conditions can/must a partner sell his interests?  For example, death, disability, divorce, bankruptcy/debt, sale of the business, retirement, voluntary departure, or stalemate in an important company decision are often defined as triggering events.
  2. Who can buy those interests upon a triggering event?  Often a Buy-Sell Agreement will require the remaining partners or the Company to purchase a departing partner’s interests.  If a voluntary sale, then the remaining partners might have a right of first refusal to match a bona fide offer made by an independent third party.
  3. What is the value of the interests to be purchased? The value of a business is often determined by various factors and market conditions.  The purchase price for a departing partner’s interests could be determined by a trusted accountant, an independent appraisal, a formula based upon earnings, or the book value of the interests at the time of departure.  Different triggering events could be tied to different formulas.  
  4. How/When will the purchase price be paid?  The Buy-Sell Agreement can ensure that the funds used to pay for the purchased interests are available for the Company while allowing the Company to continue its business as a going concern.  For triggering events such as death, disability or departure of a key partner, the Company can carry life, disability or key man insurance to fund a buyout.  For other purchases by the Company, the Buy-Sell Agreement can include payment terms allowing for the Company to pay a partial amount in a lump sum and finance the balance of the purchase price over a number of years.  
A Buy-Sell Agreement protects the business partners before a dispute occurs and provides a governing document to be followed by the interest holders upon a sale of interests in your Company.  It is a complicated legal document and should be entered into with the guidance and knowledge of experience legal and accounting professionals.  Too frequently we see parties in need of guiding protocol for a buy out when it is already too late (i.e., acrimonious separation or partner death).  

If you can't find or are not sure if you have a buy-sell, its time to re-up.  Contact Jodi (; 516 747 6700 x. 326) or Jennifer (; 516 747 6700 x. 302) should you require any assistance on behalf of your practice.  


Looking for the KK Healthcare Exchange?  Click Here. 

Looking for HIPAA and compliance forms?  
Click here to visit our website.
Have a question or comment for Jennifer?
Contact Jennifer at or  at (516) 747-6700 x. 302.
Interested in having Jennifer speak at an event or
at a residency/fellowship program?
Contact Jennifer directly at (516) 747-6700 x. 302 or at
Click here to learn about
K&K's Prepaid Legal Audit/Investigation Defense Now!